Singapore Sling Cocktail Corner La Trin: The best ingredient

Saturday 20 August 2011

The best ingredient

Sitting at the table, we had a lengthy and spirited debate about what we were going to do for Mum's birthday. I finally convinced Dad that, although he had made the booking six weeks in advance, we should cook a three-course meal for mum instead of going to The Press Club for dinner. And so, the executive decision was made. It would be a home cooked meal by Dad and I! : )

We spent ages poring over recipes, and finally, we came up with a menu.

Entrée: Donna Hay's panned seared Scallops with soft Toffee Apple salad.

Main Course: Jamie Oliver's Baked Chicken and Chorizo.

Dessert: Nigella Lawson's irresistible Self Saucing Flourless Chocolate Pudding.
 
It didn't take long for us to decide that dad would be the chef for entrée and I was to be in charge of the dessert. It would be a combined effort for the main course. We also agreed that we would get the ingredients a day before D day.

We must have spent a couple of hours in the supermarket and we still didn't have all the ingredients. We started wondering if we had set the standard too high... Luckily we managed to get the remaining ingredients in another supermarket.

Finally, it was Mum's birthday. We sang happy birthday in the morning and presented her our gifts. I wrote mum a poem and she absolutely loved it! I couldn't wait for the evening and I knew mum would be so surprised.

It was a race against the clock. My hands were stained as I rushed around the room. I yanked the drawer open and grabbed what I needed out of it. I dashed back to my station (yes, I have been a big fan of Masterchef and this is the lingo!) and started doing what I needed to. Then I heard the sound of feet padding down the stairs. Oh No! She was coming. Why hadn't I been faster? Well, we did agree for mum to come downstairs at 7 pm sharp. It was a terrible scene. Stains everywhere, faces splattered with various substances, and mum was going to see it all. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! But in hind sight, it was probably not a bad idea that mum saw it. That was The Effort of Love! Dad has never cooked before too.

Everything was nearly ready. Although the kitchen was not a pretty sight, the dining table was. We had put a white tablecloth with subtle embroidery over it, just so we could really get the feel of fine dining ambience. We put the forks, knives and spoons next to the perfectly gleaming plates, just how fine dining restaurants would set them out. Mum just couldn't believe how well we had transformed the dining area! I relaxed for a moment, and just stopped to admire the table. 

DING! The oven's bell abruptly ended my short reverie and pulled me back to reality. The first two courses were ready to be served, I put my pudding in the oven as it could be cooked while we enjoyed the first two courses. 

Everyone sat down for their first course.

"Mmmmm," mum said. "Well presented and absolutely divine! Just soooo Delicious" 

"Thanks honey." my dad replied with the proudest grin on his face. Dad was worried before that he couldn't pull the dish together. He did well! And it must have been yummy, because the dish went very quickly.

Next was the Chicken and Chorizo. We took the baking tray from the kitchen bench and put it on the table. Everyone took their turns in taking some of it. It was delicious. The chicken was very juicy, and the whole dish had a nice 'Zing' to it. "Mmmmm" was all anyone could say. 

Finally, it was my dish! The Self Saucing Flourless Chocolate Pudding served with Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream and Fresh Mixed Berries... I put a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and berries onto each plate. I served up, and prayed it was yummy. I cut into mine. It was gooey on the inside. Just as I had hoped. "Great job, Trin!" my mum said, with her mouth full. I was very proud. 

When we had finished up everything, mum said with a very big and bright smile, "Thanks guys. It was the best birthday meal ever!"

My face had an even bigger smile! 

So if you ask me now what's the best ingredient for any dish? The answer is Love.

My Self Saucing Flourless Chocolate Pudding



Me making the pudding


Pan seared scallop with soft toffee apple salad



Baked Chicken and Chorizo

1 comment:

  1. the pudding definitely look yummy! good job Trin! And the entree, mouth watering~~

    ReplyDelete