Singapore Sling Cocktail Corner La Trin: The coastal tour

Wednesday 28 September 2011

The coastal tour

Today mum had booked us a private boat tour along the Amalfi coastline.

Walking down the cobbled, sloping streets of Positano to the beach, I couldn't help but feel a pleasant warm glow inside me, I was happy, no doubt about it, and exuberant. I really was.

While waiting for the boat to arrive, I started practicing skipping stones with Dad. A few did skip two or three times, but not many. On the other hand, dad got 5 rocks to skip 8 times! Well, they do say practice makes perfect.....

The rubber boat bounced along the waves, wind whipping my hair around as we headed down the coastline. The sheer cliffs rose out of the sea, giant wonders teeming with wild shrubs. We passed the village of Praiano, a sea of multicoloured houses spread over two cliffs. Beaches and sunchairs were spread over the feet of the cliffs. So nice!

We pulled into the cove of the Emerald Grotto. We had been to the Blue Grotto, now it was time for the Emerald Grotto. We paid for our tickets and headed on inside. The water was so... GREEN! The light really enhanced the beautiful water. The light came from an underwater tunnel that ran under the cave wall. There were stalactites and stalagmites on the roof and sides of the cave. The rippling water gave off a mysterious green light on the roof of the cave. In one part of the cave, were five sculptures, submerged underwater, making up the Nativity Scene of Jesus! It was so cute. It was also extraordinarily charming.

We went to the Pandora Grotto, the biggest cave in the whole Amalfi Coast, where we went for a swim. I arched gracefully of the boat, eager to swim in the crystal clear water. I was swimming with lots of fish too. Diving in and out of the water, I felt like a dolphin as I playfully splashed around with my dad. I could see the deep bottom, the rocks and fish metres deep. It was so much fun in the azure water. So much fun.

We continued on to the Fiordo di Furore, a little cove where there was a forty metre high bridge that annually, people would jump off into the six metre water. It would be so scary! I'd never dream of doing that. I imagine that it would be really thrilling. I admired the people who did jump off.

We bounced along and saw the other villages of Conca di Marini and Atrani. They were both colourful, cliff side villages that seemed to radiate with life. People sunbathing on the beaches waved at us, big smiles on their faces. This tour was so much fun.

We rumbled back to Amalfi, another village on the cliffs of the coast. We had free time here for a while. We decided to have lunch at a seafood restaurant, where I ordered a fillet of red snapper. It was so smooth, and the flavour of the sauce it was in was sooooooooo good. We had also ordered a bowl of fries. Let me tell you, those fries, ahhhhhhh... They were crunchy and spot on with the flavour. The restaurant, Lido Azzura, was a really good restaurant. Highly recommended.

After lunch, we explored Amalfi. We got some home made gelato at a REALLY road side cafe, really, see the photos for yourself. The gelato was great but the roadside entertainment was even better. We took some photos at the square and looked around a bit. Then it was already time to go! We went to the jetty, where the rubber boat sped towards us and picked us up. We picked up speed and headed back to Positano.

Relaxing on the beach, soaking up sun, wading in the water and splashing round. Yup. Sounded good to me. Also add some rock skipping and this was a perfect way to cap off the day. The water was turquoise and warm. The rocks were flat and round. Yay! Good skipping. I skipped a lot of rocks that day. Practice DID make perfect. I was extremely happy.

Positano had been great. I could understand why it was one of the best places in Italy. The beaches, the rolling waves, the food, everything. The adventures I'd had here had been so exciting. I wondered just what would happen to me in Rome.


More rock skipping practice



Sediment rock and beautiful turquoise water



Long walk to the water...



Voted Best Hotel of Europe for the past 3 years...$$$



This is where the annual 40-meter jumping competition takes place...



Emerald Grotto



For once I enjoyed my messy hair moment



Swimming in Pandora Grotto



Swimming out to the open sea with dad



Can you see those little fish around me?



Enough swimming...



Good spot to dry off



The 700-year old church in Amalfi



Main piazza in Amalfi



Dad: So! This's what they call Roadside Cafe in Amalfi...




Dad: Are my toes still there?



Our boat & skipper



Happy family snap!



Time to lie down to enjoy the sea breeze



3 comments:

  1. That is definitely a very high bridge Trin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trin I have a new fashion blog. Here is the web address:www.fashion7everyday.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete