Singapore Sling Cocktail Corner La Trin: Venice...

Monday 12 September 2011

Venice...

San Marco Square was really a sight to be seen. Although I had seen it before here in Venice, it still threw me off guard when I saw it. The 19th century style buildings that surrounded it were just filled with a subtle charm, and the cobbled floor was just beautiful. The music coming out of the cafes was jazzy and classic, so it also was a very casual place. I really loved it.

Carrying my bag of bread, I picked a spot on the paved floor where there were lots of birds. This would be so much fun. I knelt down with a handful of bread and lots of pidgeons started hopping around, eager to have lunch. I chuckled softly to myself, delighted. The birds seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

I decided to try standing up. I very slowly and very carefully stood up. For a very short millisecond, the birds were confused as to where their lunch had gone. Then two birds flew up to my outstretched hands and started pecking greedily at the bread. I started laughing. They were just so cute! I was loving this.

After all the bread had finished, we headed to the watchtower. The view from the top of the tower was sixty metres high. I was sure the view would be magical.

Since you couldn't use the stairs, we had to take the elevator. We went into it, the doors shut, and we started zooming upward.

The metal doors opened, and I gasped. It WAS magical. I could see all of Venice. The buildings, the canals, the little stalls, everything. The sky was so clear that I could almost see space! The people walking around were like little ants! It was sooooooooo pretty...

We looked out from the tower in every direction. It was truly magnificent. It wad time too go down, so we waited for the elevator. The elevator opened, and we stepped inside. The doors closed, and the ground started racing towards us.

We walked to the clock tower, a beautiful, majestic tower with a blue and gold clock. On top of this clock was a bell which would ring every hour, hit by two statues of extreme intricacy. It told the sun clock and a lunar clock, telling the zodiac, real time and the high tide and low tide. It was like something out of Wonderland.

The day was coming to sunset, and we walked to the Rialto Bridge, the most famous bridge in Venice. It was over the Grand Canal and gondolas rippled under it. It was lined with shops and was made of stone. We walked across it leisurely and decided to take one of the gondolas. I was feeling pleasant.

The gondola ride was officially THE most relaxing thing I had ever done in my life. We paddled slowly along, and admired the divine architecture of Venice. We saw the house that Marco Polo was born in, and the house that Casanova was born in as well. We saw the fish market which it has been used in the movie 'The Tourist' and all the bridges too. The gondola was long and the wood was carved like they did for the blue bloods. The chairs were lushly covered with blood red velvet, along with gold seams. It was so posh. The gondolier was just like the gondoliers in the movies! Stripy shirt, black berets, black pants, black shoes. I felt like I had jumped into one of those black and white films from the eighties. I felt special.

It was finally time to go 'home' and rest. I got ready for bed, and as my head hit the pillow, I fell to sleep.

View from our hotel roof where we had breakfast everyday
Photobucket

The Saint Marco Clock Tower
Photobucket

Grand Canal of Venice
Photobucket

On a gondola about to go under Rialto Bridge
Photobucket

Rialto Bridge
Photobucket

View from the top of Venice watch tower
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments: