Singapore Sling Cocktail Corner La Trin: Gastronomic Experience in Bologna

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Gastronomic Experience in Bologna

In Bologna, I learned a new word. Gastronomy, which means the science of adequate eating.

Bologna is the foodie town of Italy. It really deserves it's name. The food here is great. Sitting at the dinner table with my Tagliettelle Bolognese in front of me and in my mouth, I really appreciated it. The Bolognese sauce in Bologna is nothing like the Bolognaise sauce we get from Melbourne. Same mince beef and tomato, but cooked completely different. Pasta in Bologna restaurant generally made fresh, I lost count how many plates of pasta I had the three days we stayed in Bologna. They all tasted very very good!

Apart from indulging in food, we did explore Bologna. Day 2, we walked from our hotel to Maggiore Square, the heart of Bologna. Surrounded by the basilica San Petronio, Palazzo dei Notai, Palazzo d'Accursio, Palazzo del Podestà and the spectacular façade of the Palazzo dei Banchi. In the centre of it all was the Fontana del Nettuno, the fountain of Neptune, a spectacular fountain of marble and bronze. It was truly beautiful.

After looking around the square for a while, we saw a hop on hop off bus. We decided to go for a ride to get out of the blistering sun. We saw Bologna in a different way. Very beautiful.

After finishing on the bus, we headed to a famous gelateria. I ordered a dark chocolate one. I licked and licked at it, but, for the first time ever, I couldn't finish it! Wow. I was sad....

We went into the Chieso Di St Dominic. This basilica held the tomb of Saint Dominic partly sculpted by Michelangelo. The architecture was beautiful. It was a lot if gold and marble, with intricate sculptures. Ahhhhhhhh..............

We headed into the Basilica San Petronio, a beautiful basilica in Maggiore square. It had the largest internal zodiac sundial in the world, along with detailed sculptures and colorful paintings. It had 22 little chapels along the side of it. This was the true meaning of beauty....

For dinner, we went to a little restaurant our hotel concierge had recommended us, where I ordered beef with salad. It tasted fantastic! Peppery, lemony and salty. Fine dining indeed...

Day Three was about exercise and food (again). First we headed to the Asinelli tower, with 498 steps to the top. I was determined to burn off some of that gelato.....

495, 496, 497, 498! Finally, we were at the top! The view was breathtaking. And I thought the watchtower had been amazing.. Well, it had been. But this was beauty taken to another level. All of Bologna stretched out below me; the cool breeze blowing my hair this way and that. The little people minding their own business. All from ninety metres above the ground. So beautiful....

We went down the 498 steps again, so, really, we climbed 996 stairs. I felt fit and pumping! Woo! Go! Go! Go me! Yeah! Must have lost SOME of the gelato...

We turned into the Quadrilatero, the food centre of Bologna. This was THE place in Bologna to eat at the delis or buy fresh produce. We looked at all the delis and stores and eventually stopped for lunch. I ordered gnocchi with pomodoro sauce. It was delicious!!!!! Highly recommended. For dessert, I ordered vanilla ice cream with berry compote, because I'd never had it before. The vanilla ice cream was just divine, but I didn't like the compote that much. But at least I'd tried it!

We explored and explored the Quadrilatero. Finally, we'd finished and we went back to the hotel, tired but happy. I dived into bed, and conked out.

Day Four was a half day as it was our last. We went back to the Quad and ate lunch at a side street cafe. I had a wonderful lasagna as my main and we shared a cold cut platter as entrée. Mmmmm....

I would miss Bologna. Sitting in the car, I thought about this. I said silent goodbye, and we drove on towards Florence.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could eat all that pasta like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at those yummy pasta and cheeeeeeeeese.

    p.s seems like you have found your way to do your blog! wonderful! :D but you still have to buy me fridge magnets, every place you go to.

    Muaks!

    ReplyDelete